Stars Fell on Alabama
I've just finished reading this book by Carl Carmer. Published in 1934, and written by a transient Yankee professor, it gives a glimpse into all sorts of areas of the old South. Some of which I'm not very proud :-( It's so hard to imagine that some of these things went on, as I was raised by parents who were/are not prejudiced according to race. My parents taught us that ALL are made in the image of God and are to be treated with respect. We had a few workers that my mother had hired. A lovely sewing lady. A wonderful yardman, who shuffled in his denim overalls and whom I could hardly understand. A lady who cleaned and did some cooking. And we treated them all respectfully. So, like I said, it's hard to imagine these stories of ill-treatment. But they are there. They are true. And it's shameful. Carmer wrote these stories as he traveled the back roads of Alabama, and it made me homesick. There are plenty of good stories mixed in with the bad ones. Stories of old families, how areas were settled, folk stories, brer rabbit stories that you've never seen or heard. Stories of traveling along the dirt roads. I could truly picture it all...the bright red dirt/clay, the kudzu covering old weather-beaten houses that are built up on pillars of stones for their foundations. The humidity so thick you could drink the air. Yes, in spite of the "hard" stories, I was homesick.
Labels: Books

4 Comments:
At July 1, 2007 at 4:19 PM,
Bonnie said…
Noel, your post brought back memories of growing up in North Carolina (which some people think is not a southern state because it says "north" in the name, but it is very southern!) back in the 1950's. So much of what you say about people's treatment of one another was very real then, and was something I could never understand.
We just returned, as a family, from the Vision Forum Jamestown 400th celebration, and we heard some wonderful speakers who unveiled interesting American history that has been revised and censored. Our oldest grandson, who does Civil War reinacting as a confederate soldier, was totally absorbed with some of the eye-opening stories he heard. Yes, it is so true that man outside of God's grace and direction will dehumanize others made in the image of God, still there were some Godly men in the South. What a shame that, not only has Jamestown history been revised, but some of that of the Southern cause.
Thanks for a good recommendation. How was our trip? Or are you home yet?
At July 3, 2007 at 6:46 AM,
Noel said…
We are home now, Bonnie. Lovely trip, lovely people! I still have a hard time being at the "beach" and finding cold weather. It was beautifully sunny though! I saw your pic on Carmon's blog. The best part was that I recognized you without reading the comment!! Your family is an inspiration for me. Blessings on you!!
At July 3, 2007 at 2:44 PM,
Tammy said…
Humidity so thick you could drink it?!?! Yikes, much better to shiver in the northern parts, me says *grin*
At July 3, 2007 at 8:55 PM,
Noel said…
Tammy, you've got to remember to sign your name, or else everyone will think that you're my mother :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home