A New Experience
Last night I did something I'd never done before. I gave an injection. For 6yrs I've been in this business, and this was my first injection. I was thankful to have oversight and direction, and that it was not an emergency situation. Doing the first one is the hardest... I'd never punctured the skin like that before. That was my biggest fear. Skin is not the same as the orange that one practices on, or the apple, or whatever. It's different. So, now I've done it, and the next time, it won't be so hard, I hope. But I'd be very happy if it were another 6yrs before I did that again. However, on the other hand, I'm thinking I really need to learn how to draw blood. I've got a great phlebotomist friend who can teach me. I've already got lab privileges. I've got the supplies. I just need an arm.... any takers?
Labels: Midwifery

3 Comments:
At May 19, 2007 at 6:02 AM,
Dana in Georgia said…
Wondering what med you administered?
Dana
At May 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM,
Bonnie said…
Noel, I so remember when I first gave an injection to my baby sister. She developed juvenile diabetes when she was 6 years old, and I was the oldest sibling at 14, so when my mother was gone, it fell to me. I, too, practiced on an orange.
It never ceased to bother me when I had to do the deed. I was so worried about getting air in the syringe. Eventually, she learned to do her own injections, and I was off the hook. It was a responsibility I was glad to relinquish. God bless you, Noel, in your ministry to women.
At June 3, 2007 at 1:53 PM,
Noel said…
Oh, Bonnie, what a honor to have you visit me here. I think of you often :-) I have another Bonnie in life lately. She had to phone me after she read your comment. She said it was amazing that you posted what you did, as her younger sister also developed diabetes. But the best part is that you both love the Lord!!
I visited your blog again. I love reading about your parents and your family. Blessings on you all!!
Post a Comment
<< Home