Eye issues
Last Thursday while sitting at the pool watching my children, I noticed excessive things floating before my vision. Thinking that it was just something on the exterior of my iris, I attempted to wipe it away. That didn't work. I looked into a mirror and found nothing. hmmm.... Then that evening while watching a movie in a semi-dark room, I noticed something flashing in my peripheral vision. Now *that* was interesting! So the next day I did some research and came to the conclusion that a visit to an opthamologist was in order. So, Monday morning the doc's office called and fit me in at 1pm. I'm thankful for those folks who cancel their appts at the last minute.
I discovered that 90% of the people who have floaters and flashers don't really have a serious problem. BUT the only way to know if there *is* a problem is to have one's retina checked out. So I went in, hoping to be one of 90%. Nope, not me! I'm the 10%. The doc found a hole in my retina. great.... The good news is that with his laser he could "fix" it. Actually fix is not a good word. In general terms, he "spot-welded" around the hole so that it would not grow (or allow more vitreous fluid to get underneath it, causing more retina to pull away. I walked out of the office, driving myself home. No restrictions to activity. Nothing. My eye was still dilated, burned a bit from all the activity on it. But nothing more. Amazing!!
I'm thankful to God for the gift of vision!!
I discovered that 90% of the people who have floaters and flashers don't really have a serious problem. BUT the only way to know if there *is* a problem is to have one's retina checked out. So I went in, hoping to be one of 90%. Nope, not me! I'm the 10%. The doc found a hole in my retina. great.... The good news is that with his laser he could "fix" it. Actually fix is not a good word. In general terms, he "spot-welded" around the hole so that it would not grow (or allow more vitreous fluid to get underneath it, causing more retina to pull away. I walked out of the office, driving myself home. No restrictions to activity. Nothing. My eye was still dilated, burned a bit from all the activity on it. But nothing more. Amazing!!
I'm thankful to God for the gift of vision!!

2 Comments:
At August 7, 2007 at 9:53 AM,
Dana in Georgia said…
Wow! Praying for no side effects or recurrences.
Glad you're better :)
At August 7, 2007 at 7:44 PM,
Tammy said…
NOEL! I have to read about this on your blog?!? You are in big trouble now. Wait until I tell Terry...did I ever tell you my middle name was "Tattletale"? hehe!
I'm just relieved you are okay! Whew!
Blessings,
Tammy ~@~
Post a Comment
<< Home