Ethiopian Food
We had another birthday feast, I wanted to chronicle the recipes, lest I forget them.
Doro Wat:
9 lbs chicken
5 lbs onion, chopped fine
2 T fresh ginger, minced
4 T fresh garlic, minced
3 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup Berbere spice combination
I cooked the garlic and ginger in some coconut oil. Then added the onion. Sauted it all for about 5-10 minutes. Added the Berbere, cooked another 2-5 min. Added tomatoes. and let simmer about 10 min.
I layered the chicken in a large roaster. Covered chicken with all that onion mixture. Put in fridge overnight. The chicken was actually still frozen a bit.
Next day I baked the entire thing at 325 for 2 hrs.
Although the onion mixture was quite spicy the day I fixed it, after marinating and cooking with the chicken, the spiciness seemed to have settled down.
I don't make Injeera bread, so I cooked up some brown basmati rice to go with the chicken.
For a side dish, I cooked up this vegetable dish, but I used coconut oil instead of olive oil:
http://www.food.com/recipe/ethiopian-cabbage-310482
Jamie fixed this salad, but I think she used red bell pepper instead of spicy green ones.
http://www.food.com/recipe/ethiopian-tomato-cucumber-salad-454644
Served a Moscato wine that worked well. Suggestions were also a Riesling or Mead.
Served banana cake with chocolate icing for the birthday boy!
Doro Wat:
9 lbs chicken
5 lbs onion, chopped fine
2 T fresh ginger, minced
4 T fresh garlic, minced
3 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup Berbere spice combination
I cooked the garlic and ginger in some coconut oil. Then added the onion. Sauted it all for about 5-10 minutes. Added the Berbere, cooked another 2-5 min. Added tomatoes. and let simmer about 10 min.
I layered the chicken in a large roaster. Covered chicken with all that onion mixture. Put in fridge overnight. The chicken was actually still frozen a bit.
Next day I baked the entire thing at 325 for 2 hrs.
Although the onion mixture was quite spicy the day I fixed it, after marinating and cooking with the chicken, the spiciness seemed to have settled down.
I don't make Injeera bread, so I cooked up some brown basmati rice to go with the chicken.
For a side dish, I cooked up this vegetable dish, but I used coconut oil instead of olive oil:
http://www.food.com/recipe/ethiopian-cabbage-310482
Jamie fixed this salad, but I think she used red bell pepper instead of spicy green ones.
http://www.food.com/recipe/ethiopian-tomato-cucumber-salad-454644
Served a Moscato wine that worked well. Suggestions were also a Riesling or Mead.
Served banana cake with chocolate icing for the birthday boy!
Labels: Recipes

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home