Cruising in February
I just returned from a cruise. Houston Midwives held a midwifery conference on a cruise ship, and I went. No brainer! Leave the snow-covered Palouse and head to the Sunny South? yes! I got to travel to Houston, enjoy some meals with friends that I haven't seen in a long time, get on a ship and enjoy sunshine and warmth. After the overnight in Houston, we grabbed a shuttle and headed even further south.
We left out of Galveston and sailed all night and the next day. During that time, I attended lectures on Physiologic Closure of the Umbilical Cord and Understanding Pelvic Soft Tissue Anatomy by Anne Frye, and some of the legislation and legal status arising in each state in the US, presented by Ida Darragh. I met midwives that I had communicated with only over the internet. Now I could chat with them in person.
After another night sail, we arrived in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico. While we didn't pay for any shore excursions, we did venture off the ship. Had to shop! and find free internet... Progreso is still under-developed, not too touristy. I enjoy experiencing a little local color and this stop felt less touristy than most. I was a little put off by the constant confrontation of women offering to do massages. Made me wonder if that's what all Americans have when on these trips... The market stalls were very basic. The sellers very local. Interesting that the wares were nearly the same at each stall. Pitting one vendor against another in price....fun fun!
Back on board for the next port. Cozumel. Another overnight sail around the Yucatan Peninsula. While Progreso was basic, Cozumel was her opposite. Very clean and much more expensive. More difficult to find a nice little cafe that hadn't been too affected by tourism. but we were successful! The development of the vacation sites has been done well. Those all inclusive places with private beaches, swimming pools....warmth and protection! A very tempting future vacation...
On the final day, which was spent sailing back toward Galveston, we finished up our conference lectures. We heard more from Anne Frye about Quantum Touch, a psychologist spoke to us about Dealing with Challenging Clients, and Gail Tulley of www.spinningbabies.com talked about different types of Shoulder Dystocia. Yes, we learned a lot. It was profitable.
But honestly, the best part was my travel partner. I couldn't find a midwife to share my room, and my husband was far too busy to come along. So I ventured to the next step and began asking my friends. This friend is the mother of a couple of my clients, and I've had to honor of catching some of her grandbabies. We seem to be very like-minded, so we made the decision to do this together. She is not a midwife, but enjoys a good adventure. I am so thankful to have had her to travel with. She has done the cruise thing before, so she helped me learn the ropes. We committed to learning to knit socks on this trip. And we began that part while we waited for the shuttle from Houston on day 1. While she finished both of her socks, making a complete pair, I did not. I got one sock done, and started the next. But I was able to complete two baby hats and get over halfway done with a third.
And even after I realized that I had messed up our return trip, requiring us to stay an extra night/day in Houston, she still likes me. Lavaida is a good friend!!
Great friends, great fellowship, and the best travel partner!

1 Comments:
At February 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM,
Anonymous said…
Noel, Sounds like you had a great time on your adventure. I'm so glad it went well. - Martha
Post a Comment
<< Home