Passing the Baton
When I began my midwifery journey, I was attending births of my friends and peers. A few years later, I realized that I was attending births of women young enough to be my daughters, yet my daughters were still younger. So I felt as though I was still in a somewhat removed role, that of care provider. Then one day that changed...
I was originally hired as midwife to the young woman. Due to some circumstances, I had to transfer her care to a different midwife, but I was still asked to come along to the birth as an extra set of hands. There was already an assistant, so I was truly just an "extra." And yet at one point during the birth, I became not just an extra, but an essential. Mom was on the birth stool. Dad was poised to "catch" with the midwife. I was supporting the mom. She was leaning back with her head on my shoulder. She was nearly the same age as my daughter. I began comforting her in a way that I would do my own daughter.... I encouraged her, held her, stroked her hair, and even pretended as if she truly was my daughter. This was a difficult moment for her, but I had faith in her and told her so. She was strong, and I reminded her of that fact. And she was beautiful...
And now 10 years later into my journey, I have been reminded that these women are getting younger and younger. As I watch their beauty and strength, I am also reminded that the world continues. God wants it peopled. And these strong women are working hard to birth their babies. I spent many years birthing babies. Yes, I miss giving birth. But now I can pass the baton to the next generation. I can help them, encourage them, support them, and remind them of God's grace.
I love what I do, and I love the women I serve. God is eternal and faithful and good.
Labels: Midwifery

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home