Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

King Ranch Chicken

Warning: this makes a huge amount.

6 lbs chicken, cooked and cut up. I cook it with Mexican seasonings bought from Oregon Spice ordered through Azure Standard. I save the broth to use in making the sauce.

Make "white" sauce.
1 cup butter. Melt in large saucepan. Stir in about 1 cup flour to make a thick paste. Cook one minute. Whisk in 6 cups of broth. Cook on medium heat, stirring until thickened. I make it rather thick as I'm planning to add picante sauce to it.

Pour about 1/2 cup of Pace picante sauce into bottom of roasting pan. Stir the rest into the "white sauce" which really isn't white, since there's no milk in it. We use medium flavor as we like spice.

Large roasting pan. Probably equivalent to 3 9x13s. On the bottom, you've already poured some picante sauce. Next layer with corn tortillas. I layer chicken, grated cheddar cheese, sauce and tortillas. I finish with sauce on the top. Because my pan is so big, I have to bake it at 375 for about 45 min.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home