Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

VBAC

She wanted to talk. She was pregnant with her second baby. Her first baby had been a c-section prior to labor at 35wks. Having recently moved to the area, she called the local doctors and found that their insurance companies would not allow them to give her the chance at a vaginal birth. She would be required to have a scheduled repeat c-section. She didn't like this option. So she began doing her research. And that led her to me...

I told her that as long as she followed my protocols, ate a healthy diet, and did her research, I would be happy to be her health care provider. She was more than willing.

Just a day before her EDD (estimated due date), she phoned me that she was in fact in labor. I traveled to her house, set up my equipment, encouraged her in her contraction pattern, and waited. I brought my knitting, but didn't knit very much. She was definitely active. We got the pool filled with warm water, monitored the baby's heart rate, fed the mom, and waited.

After a little more than 13 hours, she successfully pushed out her baby. Her first vaginal birth after a c-section. At home. Under the water. Beautiful! All 8lb 13oz. What a woman!

Labels: