Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Water

Hubby and I watched this movie over a period of a few nights. It was in Hindi, I think. Don't worry, we don't know that language and just read the subtitles. ;-) Based along the river in a poorer section of a city in India, the movie focused on a household of widows. Evidently in the hindu religion, the widows are never allowed to remarry. That could be okay for some, but there are young girls who are "married" without ever having seen their "husbands." So occasionally there is a widow of 8 or 9 years of age. She has no idea what it means to be a wife, much less a widow. All she knows is that she is no longer allowed to live with her family because a man that she has never met has now died. She is shunned from her family and now from society and thrown into a house full of bitter women. How depressing!

I won't give any spoilers, but I have to say that I cannot recommend the movie. It was interesting and sad. There was no hope. Of course there can't be hope without Christ. So the people focused on Ghandi as their savior, but even he could not save them.

Makes me pray more for the lost...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home