Buckwheat
No, not the character from Little Rascals. This is one of the side dishes that I serve. I first ate buckwheat while visiting friends in Poland. It has an interesting flavor, one that I found I actually liked. So when I came back to the States, I looked it up, found a source to purchase it, and learned how to cook it.
I also learned, in Nourishing Traditions, that "buckwheat is not technically a grain, but the seeds of an herb, a relative of rhubarb... It is high in lysine and calcium as well as vitamin E and the entire gamut of vitamin B complex. It is especially noted for its high nitriloside or B17 content, a vitamin that plays an important role in the body's defense against cancer." Sounds like good stuff to me!
The ratio of water to buckwheat is 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of buckwheat. (1/2 tsp salt)
I put the dry groats into a pot and turn the stove on to med high. Stir the groats and let them toast a bit. Meanwhile, I boil the water. When the groats get toasted, I turn the heat off and pour the hot water over them. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand until the water is absorbed, maybe about 20 min. Toss with a fork and serve.
I also learned, in Nourishing Traditions, that "buckwheat is not technically a grain, but the seeds of an herb, a relative of rhubarb... It is high in lysine and calcium as well as vitamin E and the entire gamut of vitamin B complex. It is especially noted for its high nitriloside or B17 content, a vitamin that plays an important role in the body's defense against cancer." Sounds like good stuff to me!
The ratio of water to buckwheat is 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cup of buckwheat. (1/2 tsp salt)
I put the dry groats into a pot and turn the stove on to med high. Stir the groats and let them toast a bit. Meanwhile, I boil the water. When the groats get toasted, I turn the heat off and pour the hot water over them. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand until the water is absorbed, maybe about 20 min. Toss with a fork and serve.
Labels: Recipes

1 Comments:
At February 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM,
Tammy said…
So, if it's not considered a grain, then can it be included in a gluten free diet?
Just curious....
Blessings,
Tammy
Post a Comment
<< Home