The Doctor's Wife
Okay, so it sounded good when I picked it up off the shelf in a desperate moment to read something light. Definitely a bit more intriguing than The Friday Night Knitting Club. There are four main characters: a doctor, who is definitely busy in his OB practice, yet he still moonlights at an abortion clinic. He and his wife (yep, she's one of those main characters. hence the title. smart, aren't I?) are politically supportive of abortion. Yet now, the doctor's involvement at the clinic brings conflict into their family life.
Next characters are an artist and his wife. The artist is about 25 years older than his "helpmeet," and there's definitely something askew with their relationship. Dare I make any stereotypical comments?
Yes, there are religious and political conflicts due to the abortion clinic involvement. But what made me enjoy the book is that I didn't know which side of the debate the author supported. She seemed to know the struggles of those involved on both sides. Her characters who had had abortions were either "unaffected" or traumatized. One could understand the religious zeal and yet also be against it.
I think in a nutshell, I could definitely learn from this book that no matter what one does in one's past, there is no erasing it. Everything that one experiences will affect one's future. Be careful how you act, what you do. Think about the long term implications, for there will be many.
Upon further reflection, I'm trying to recall how the men are portrayed in this book. In reading the acknowledgements, I don't recall the author thanking her husband, which authors often do. The male doctor is chastised for abandoning his family. The owner of the abortion clinic is a woman who has never married. The artist exploits all sorts of women, in the name of art of course. He appears to be the savior of the young girl who becomes his wife, but is he really saving her? The pastor is deceptive and manipulative. Hmmm, are there any men with good qualities in this book?
Next characters are an artist and his wife. The artist is about 25 years older than his "helpmeet," and there's definitely something askew with their relationship. Dare I make any stereotypical comments?
Yes, there are religious and political conflicts due to the abortion clinic involvement. But what made me enjoy the book is that I didn't know which side of the debate the author supported. She seemed to know the struggles of those involved on both sides. Her characters who had had abortions were either "unaffected" or traumatized. One could understand the religious zeal and yet also be against it.
I think in a nutshell, I could definitely learn from this book that no matter what one does in one's past, there is no erasing it. Everything that one experiences will affect one's future. Be careful how you act, what you do. Think about the long term implications, for there will be many.
Upon further reflection, I'm trying to recall how the men are portrayed in this book. In reading the acknowledgements, I don't recall the author thanking her husband, which authors often do. The male doctor is chastised for abandoning his family. The owner of the abortion clinic is a woman who has never married. The artist exploits all sorts of women, in the name of art of course. He appears to be the savior of the young girl who becomes his wife, but is he really saving her? The pastor is deceptive and manipulative. Hmmm, are there any men with good qualities in this book?
Labels: Books

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home