The Illuminator
I've now read the prequel to The Mercy Seller. The Illuminator was equally as enjoyable. At first I thought it a bit boring, but then I realized my impressions were likely due to the fact that I essentially already knew what was going to happen. So the moral? Read The Illuminator first, then read The Mercy Seller.
The conflicts deal with corruption within the church and the government, both central and local. The era is about the time just as the reformation is beginning, when folks realized the importance of knowing what the scriptures actually said and not just relying on being told what they said. And after reading those scriptures for themselves, folks discovering that certain practices in the established church were incorrect....even sinful. And yet, even in the group that was protesting the Roman Catholic practices of the time, there arose extremists.
So no matter which group we follow, whether in religion, politics, etc., remember that they are made up of mere men and are fallible. No group is perfect. We must keep our eyes focused on the task that the Lord has given us and remember to show mercy and grace to those around us.
The conflicts deal with corruption within the church and the government, both central and local. The era is about the time just as the reformation is beginning, when folks realized the importance of knowing what the scriptures actually said and not just relying on being told what they said. And after reading those scriptures for themselves, folks discovering that certain practices in the established church were incorrect....even sinful. And yet, even in the group that was protesting the Roman Catholic practices of the time, there arose extremists.
So no matter which group we follow, whether in religion, politics, etc., remember that they are made up of mere men and are fallible. No group is perfect. We must keep our eyes focused on the task that the Lord has given us and remember to show mercy and grace to those around us.
Labels: Books

1 Comments:
At August 27, 2008 at 4:17 AM,
Dana in Georgia said…
I think I'll run by the library and check this out.... I need a book to read when we're taking V & P back to Hillsdale on Monday.
I have two others packed, but it's nice to have a choice to suit the mood :)
Post a Comment
<< Home