Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Old Dog, new tricks?

As I get further into this knitting stuff, I've begun to realize that I need a new way to knit. All the double pointed needles are getting in my way with these smaller projects. So I ventured out and asked a friend to teach me the continental method. Now I've been knitting a small swatch, trying to help my fingers get used to this. I typically knit rather loosely, but with this new method, I tend to knit very tight. sigh. I can't get my tension right on the yarn. But I have learned how to knit and purl with the continental. So I hope to continue this. Once I've got it mastered, I'm told I will knit much faster. that is indeed a good goal! But for now, it's slow going.....

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At March 10, 2007 at 4:21 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At March 10, 2007 at 4:21 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said…

    The fastest knitters I know...knit continental.

    (I'm hearing Fred and Ginger my brain, just for saying Continental)

    I am a slow poke and I don't think I'm going to change my ways.

    it's how my grandma taught me and I feel like a traitor if I changed.

    Is that weird?

     
  • At March 10, 2007 at 4:29 PM, Blogger Noel said…

    oh, Donna, you don't have to give up the English method. I was told the continental will help you not get carpal tunnel from knitting so much. And it's supposed to be faster, though I'd gotten pretty fast at the English. I like knowing both now. don't think I'll ever conquer the reading and knitting thing though ;-)

     
  • At March 10, 2007 at 5:47 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said…

    I started knitting linen/flax hand towels today.

    The linen is stiff but it softens with washing.

    You should borrow Mason-Dixon Knitting book from the library.
    It's an easy and elegant pattern.

    Last year all the sisters got socks for their birthdays...
    this year, it's handtowels :o)

    Happy knitting!

     
  • At March 10, 2007 at 6:05 PM, Blogger Noel said…

    Ah, the library! :::hitting self on forehead:::: THAT is where I should be looking for these knitting books!

    I stopped by the shop today and asked about my tension. She said it will relax with time. I bought the proper size needles, and started over with my mittens. I've started with the English method for now. I'll practice the continental later ;-)

    linen? hmmmm....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home