GBS garbage
I read this morning of the case of a woman who is GBS+ Now this is not all that uncommon, and only 1/2 of 1% of positive moms have really really sick babies. But this woman's doctor wants to do a c-section on her because of the "potential" risks that her baby might get this sickness. I'm having a hard time believing that one! I'm thinking that a doc just wants the convenience of the c-section and is looking for any excuse to schedule that delivery. I should probably clarify that I know babies can get really sick from GBS. AND I am not denying that it exists. I also happen to know that there are a number of treatments to kill it. And it appears that the mom is asymptomatic, so she must not be heavily infected. But back to the c-section-happy doctor....I suppose if they c-section the woman, they'll likely put prophylactic eye drops in the baby's eyes too, just to prevent blindness from an STD that the baby picked up as he passed through the birth canal. sorry, that's dripping with sarcasm..... I'm getting a little heartburn from some of the created scenarios that I read about. Maybe I should just have a glass of wine tonight.....
Labels: Midwifery

3 Comments:
At January 29, 2007 at 4:48 PM,
Dana in Georgia said…
So, did you have a red or a white?
At January 30, 2007 at 11:27 AM,
Noel said…
Probably it was an Eastern Australian Shiraz. ;-)
At February 7, 2007 at 4:10 AM,
Lucyvdb7 said…
In UK if GBS is detected the woman has intravenous antibiotics throughout labour, which means that she becomes high risk and she is denied the use of the birth centre. Her baby has to have paeditrician imput, which is fair enough, but sometimes I wonder if regular observations by the midwives wouldn't be enough. Every now and then the media get hold of a case where a mother had GBS and was not screened in time enough to detect it by delivery, and the baby gets really sick, and the media talk about how such a simple test should be done on everyone. Which is ok, but when do you do the test, seeing as GBS comes and goes, and what about preterms etc... GBS will always be very debated, I guess.
Post a Comment
<< Home