Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Winter Birds

This book was lying around the house, so I picked it up to read. Dh is supposed to review it for a magazine. I was not really enjoying it....kinda depressing to me, and I know I don't need to read depressing stuff. I plowed through...finally getting to the end. I must confess that I actually began to enjoy it. I read more just to see what would happen next. Oh, I guess I'm suppose to tell you a bit about the book. The main character is an elderly lady who married late in life and was never blessed with children. Seems that her dh married her for the convenience after his first wife died. He is now dead. She is now elderly and in need of someone to live with. She ends up with her nephew and his wife, who also have no living children. The old woman is constantly complaining and irritated at anyone who interrupts who bleak life. Through a variety of circumstances, God uses some unique people to draw her to Him. A beautiful story in the end. Not really my type of book, but I'm glad that I've read it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At January 8, 2007 at 4:46 AM, Blogger Dana in Georgia said…

    Looked at it and its predecessor at the bookstore and couldnt bring myself to pay money for it based on your review. Too bad it's not at my libary.

    Have you read any Marilyn Robinson?

     
  • At January 9, 2007 at 6:20 AM, Blogger Noel said…

    Maybe I could send you my copy of Winter Birds. We'll see. Marilyn Robinson? Peter has read a couple of her books and absolutely loves them. highly recommends them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home