Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Family

Heard an excellent sermon on Sunday. Ephesians 5 is always good material though ;-)

That old saying "blood is thicker than water" has always bothered me once I truly understood various aspects of the Christian life/walk. I guess the meaning of the saying is that the family is a really tight unit. Yet many times and places in scripture, we're told that Jesus puts father against son, mother against daughter, etc. So that appears to "rip" the family apart. what is He doing?? Jesus is reminding us that we must put God first, not family. We need to get our priorities straight. God ordained the family, started it from the beginning in Genesis. but the family is not the end all. The family of God, our brothers and sisters in Christ, are far far more important in the long run than our blood family. So let's put another twist on that saying. Yes, blood is thicker than water, except when that water is the water of baptism. Don't forget about your earthly, blood family though. They ARE important. But don't sacrifice your walk with Christ either. That is your eternity.

2 Comments:

  • At September 27, 2005 at 12:28 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said…

    And what a lovely blessing when sisters in this life can also be sister's in Christ.

    While I agree there is a little 'danger' in all the family worship. (Which is quiet subtle and we must each look at our motives, true?)

    I wonder what you think about covenant children. (This is a term I hear from my reformed Pres. friends.)

    Is the covenant just between God and that child or the church/family, the child and God?

    Interesting topic.
    And I must say, that my relationship with my little sister Janet is a huge blessing as she has a true heart for God.

    Donna

     
  • At September 30, 2005 at 4:30 AM, Blogger Dana in Georgia said…

    Just a couple of other seemingly troubling passages besides this one: Mary/Martha and *no marriage in heaven.*

    I just think it's my lowly human mind which doesnt understand.

    Fri 9/30 7:29 am

    And no, Noel, my posts at my xanga and blogspot show up *right away*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home