Peace Like A River
I finished Peace Like a River by Leif Enger last week. hmmmm.... Things were resolved at the end, yet also unresolved. I guess that's a good place to end. The plot? well, I'm not an English student. The book definitely left me a little unsettled. Afterall, the young man kills someone, two people. Yet Enger wants us to cheer him as he escapes. And I was. Is that right? Were the killings justifiable? "The Law" has been a little too close to home lately. Waiting on "the law" to work can be frustrating, since during that wait there are many questions of "right and wrong." In this book, I found myself not wanting "the law" to catch Davy. yet in my own life right now, I desperately want "the law" to punish the perpetrator. So in one sense I'm glad for things taking so long for Davy, hoping that people will forget. Yet in my life, things are not happening soon enough. Perhaps my impatience has more to do with the personal aspect of crime. When it happens "to me," punishment seems to take forever. Interesting too that God placed this book in my life at this time. I think Peace Like a River would be a good book for a discussion group. So if that's what makes a good read, then this is one.
Labels: Books

3 Comments:
At May 21, 2005 at 5:53 AM,
Dana in Georgia said…
Maybe I will pick this one up, as I have noticed that many of my blogger acquaintances have read it.
At May 23, 2005 at 7:24 PM,
Noel said…
Peter heard Enger speak at Baylor at a seminar where Peter also presented a paper. I was then given the book as a birthday present. I'm glad I read it. I'm not sure I would've picked it up otherwise.
At May 24, 2005 at 7:56 AM,
Donna Boucher said…
I'm sorry you are facing difficult circumstances right now Noel.
I will pray for you.
Donna
Post a Comment
<< Home