Moll Flanders
I recently watched the movie version of this novel by Daniel DeFoe. I enjoy watching Morgan Freeman, and he was one of the actors in the movie. Yet as I watched, I kept thinking "no way!" This young woman endured so much. I went away from the movie strongly desiring to read the book, as I was curious to see just what DeFoe wrote. So now, I'm reading Moll Flanders.....and yes, the movie deviated from the book early on. I hoping for a more redemptive story in the book, but I just may be disappointed.
Labels: Books

6 Comments:
At January 28, 2005 at 3:25 PM,
Dana in Georgia said…
Hi Noel,
I will have to look into this movie book. I try not to compare movies/books by the same title/author. to me it's like comparing/liking/disliking freshly steamed asparagus and canned asparagus.
I'm still catching up on life...that is, I just watched for the FIRST time, the Shashank Redemption. I truly enjoyed the movie. I cried. I laughed. I marveled. I thought about reading the book, but may not.
At January 29, 2005 at 5:58 AM,
Donna Boucher said…
I have not see Moll Flanders either nor read the book. I remember seeing the previews for it and it seemed very dark and sad.
Speaking of dark and sad-Emma and I just watch Wuthering Heights for the first time. (With Ralph Finnes and Juliette Binoche-forgive the spelling errors)
Lots of story...but wow...nothing too redeeming.
Dana-
We love Shawhank! It is a short story by Stephen King! Just like the Green Mile.
This is one movie our whole family watches on television. (When they play it on television they take out the violent scene with Tim Robbins)
Don't you love the voice over at the end?
Great!
Donna
At January 29, 2005 at 6:40 PM,
Noel said…
I loved Shawshank Redemption. And I liked The Green Mile, though the ending disturbed me. I should watch the version of Wuthering Heights you mention...I like Juliette Binoche. Have you seen Chocolat?
At January 29, 2005 at 7:39 PM,
Donna Boucher said…
Yes I have seen Chocolat once...but that means I don't remember it very well :o(
I do remember liking it-and Johnny Depp is in it...and there was chocolate-just the right kind---
We just finished watching The Village. I think I would have preferred hearing the story told around a campfire rather then watching the movie...it was too drawn out for me.
Interesting premise tho.
Have you seen it?
At January 30, 2005 at 5:52 AM,
Noel said…
I've not seen The Village yet, but a friend here has suggested it, so it should happen soon.
The thing that disturbed me about Chocolat was the fact that she was bucking the authority. Perhaps the authorities were being unreasonable, yet my liking her character unsettled me because she of her actions. Also she had other character traits that go against my Biblical grain, yet still I liked her. THAT bothers my self LOL
At June 5, 2005 at 12:18 PM,
Dana in Georgia said…
Finally had the chance to watch the movie and really enjoyed it. Now on to reading the book. Did you every finish it?
Post a Comment
<< Home