Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My Own Country

I just finished this book by Abraham Verghese. He's an infectious disease specialist who decided to settle in eastern Tennessee. He came across the town just as AIDS was making its debut in the early 80s. I actually enjoyed the book as Dr Verghese wrote about his personal experiences into the lives of the AIDS patients that came through his office. He delved into the toll this took on his family life too, as I'm sure all doctors must have to deal with. I did not agree with his views that all "victims" of AIDS are innocent victims. I personally feel that certain lifestyles result in certain consequences, and the only "innocent" victims would be those who contracted HIV through blood transfusions or intimate relations with a spouse who was infected. That, along with some differences in theology, which came out as folks suffered through the last stages of AIDS, was my only negative on My Own Country. A good book. I will now start his next book about his time in El Paso, TX. Both were Christmas presents.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home