Floor update
Does this saga ever end?? Okay, so the next guy didn't want to do my floors. He accepted the job, then decided he only wanted to work with prefinished. So he backed out. Should I be paying attention to this? Then I was able to talk with the man who was selling me the wood. Sure, he would do it....for 3 times the price of the other guys! maybe not. After asking around, I found yet another young man. He had trained with the best and was now out on his own. He came highly recommended. I called. He answered. He is now hired! but we were once again awaiting the availability of the wood. This is the construction saga....always waiting. There are some grain elevators being torn down in town. This wood is coming from the pea bins. It's beautiful, so hopefully it will be worth the wait.
So the new floor guy had a week available. The wood man said "sure the wood should be available then" Well, true to form, the wood was not. I begged. The wood guy says "I only have a portion of it." It's enough for one of the rooms, so I ask if I may get it. Now, the irritating part is that the weather had been wonderful all week. The day I begged for the wood, it had begun to rain. We haven't seen rain in a long while. But of course that day it rained. What I didn't know was that my wood had been sitting out in the elements all this time! sigh... So I frantically find a friend with a large bed pickup truck (plenty of those around these parts), and we meet to load up the soaking wood. We then had to unload it into my house so it could begin the drying out process. That was Friday.
Monday morning the floor guy comes to check out the moisture content. Still too wet. I'm trying to be patient. Really, I am..... Maybe I'll find another location for the open house I'm supposed to have in 2 wks....
So the new floor guy had a week available. The wood man said "sure the wood should be available then" Well, true to form, the wood was not. I begged. The wood guy says "I only have a portion of it." It's enough for one of the rooms, so I ask if I may get it. Now, the irritating part is that the weather had been wonderful all week. The day I begged for the wood, it had begun to rain. We haven't seen rain in a long while. But of course that day it rained. What I didn't know was that my wood had been sitting out in the elements all this time! sigh... So I frantically find a friend with a large bed pickup truck (plenty of those around these parts), and we meet to load up the soaking wood. We then had to unload it into my house so it could begin the drying out process. That was Friday.
Monday morning the floor guy comes to check out the moisture content. Still too wet. I'm trying to be patient. Really, I am..... Maybe I'll find another location for the open house I'm supposed to have in 2 wks....

2 Comments:
At October 1, 2007 at 1:35 PM,
Dana in Georgia said…
This sounds frustrating....
At October 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM,
Tammy said…
Ohhh, Noel! I've been wondering about this project of yours and cannot believe you are still waiting and waiting some more :::sigh::: Well, you have a few months yet to get it done, eh? hehe!
Blessings,
Tammy ~@~
Post a Comment
<< Home