Fruitful Vine

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine, within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Sarah Amanda Phillips Douglas

(My two favorite "grandmothers" in Birmingham. Sally and Betty Douglas. They married brothers. Betty went home to be with the Lord a few years ago.)

About 8:30pm I received that phone call. One of those phone calls that you know is coming, but you still are not ready for it. Her granddaughter called. She said that the end was peaceful. That the funeral would be on Monday or Tuesday. and we were sad, very sad. Selfishly we were sad, for she was the one who had left us. We would miss her. But we were happy for Sally for she was now at peace, with her Savior.

I know I must have met her before, as our families have actually known each other for many generations. My grandfather was a doctor colleague of Sally's father-in-law. But I really came to know Sally when my husband and I moved to Birmingham in 1989. She was the wife of one of the elders at the church. She was a lady. It makes me smile as I remember the times I was around her.

Sally was strong. Strong in her faith, in her drive, in her piano, in her convictions. She had an opinion. And I loved her.

Sally was gracious. She was forgiving. She was generous in almost every way imaginable. And I loved her.

Sally meant a lot to me. She stimulated me with the chats we would have about children (her youngest is about the same age as I am), about life, about grandchildren (even though I didn't have any yet), about schooling, about church, about politics, about music. She was encouraging to me in all walks of my life. And I loved her.

Sally played the piano beautifully. She shared her talents by playing with others and teaching so many. She touched so many young people and older ones too. They all loved her.

Sally Douglas was the reason I wanted to be called "Grandmama" when I became one. I wanted to remember *her when I heard folks call *me, Grandmama. But I have a different grandmother name, because I am not Sally. Because I am a different grandmama. And that's okay.

And I know that one day I will see her again. Along with all those folks that I have loved that have passed on, that know Him. And that is what makes her passing so much easier to accept. It's not a "good-bye" but a "see you later."

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home